We are 10 families from the original community of Hornocal, Omaguaca town who manage a viewpoint from which the colorful SERRANÍA DE HORNOCAL can be seen.
How to get?
The Mirador de la Serranía de Hornocal is located 25 km to the east of the city of Humahuaca, accessed by provincial route No. 73. The outward journey takes about an hour. The road on which it is circulated is a mountain road, dirt and quite winding, which ascends from 2,900 to 4,350 meters above sea level. It is heavily traveled by vehicles that go to the viewpoint and wild and domestic animals can be seen loose in adjacent areas. In the rainy season (December to March), it gets slippery.
There are two important signposted stops:
the panoramic view (4,200 m.s.m.n.m.), a place from where you have a beautiful and wide view of the creek, suitable for taking pictures and where there is cell phone signal;
the apacheta at the tripartite point, a ritual space where travelers usually perform a small ceremony every time they pass by to ask that the trip go well.
Hours of Operation:
From September to March: from 09:00 to 18:30.
From April to August: From 10:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
To enter the Mirador an entrance is paid, see the latest update of the rate.
In the viewpoint you will find:
A geodesic dome, in which the members of the Hornocal community offer textile and ceramic crafts; regional sandwiches; autochthonous agricultural products and hot water, it is open from 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Latrine toilets, 2 at the entrance, in front of the reception box and 2 at the gazebo.
Due to the daily influx of visitors, the Ministry of Health of the province of Jujuy, has arranged the permanence of an ambulance of the SAME (Emergency Medical Assistance Service), as long as it is not required in any other community in the area. This service is available every day from 10:00 to 18:00 in high season (January – March and June-July) and on a reduced basis the rest of the year.
Recommendations before ascending to the Serranías De Hornocal Viewpoint:
- Check the weather and the visibility of the SERRANÍAS DE HORNOCAL. It is possible to realize before ascending, if the clouds block the view of the mountains.
- Anticipate if you will arrive within the opening hours to be able to enter. The ascent takes about an hour, please do not ascend if you will arrive after closing time.
- If you go up in your vehicle, check the fitness and condition of it, keep in mind that you will travel on a mountain road, not paved. Travel with caution (maximum speed 40 km / h).
- If you will not ascend in your vehicle, hire round-trip transportation. For your safety, avoid hitchhiking.
- Keep in mind that it will rise to 4,350 m.a.s.l. take the necessary health precautions, try to eat lightly and do not consume alcoholic beverages before or during the journey. Coca and pupusa infusion help mitigate the effects of pointing.
- Due to the height you will reach, it is very likely that it will be cold in the viewpoint, wear warm clothes at any time of the year. Also keep in mind that solar radiation is stronger, so it is better to wear a long-sleeved shirt, long pants, do not forget the sunscreen SPF +50.
- Take care of the environment, take the garbage you generate with you. Protect natural resources, do not take souvenir stones, or uproot plants in the area.
- Respect the culture and customs of the local inhabitants.
In case you require more information about the Mirador de las Serranías de Hornocal and you cannot find it in this text, you can contact the following numbers: +549 388 4038314 Armando / + 549 388 5149030 Sonia.