Beautiful, like his people, of red earth and beautiful women with their flowery shawls of a thousand colors. The town hidden between mountains, like a gem between mountains, opens its doors to the visitor to surprise those who visit it.
“Beautiful Valley” as it was called in the past, awaits you to enjoy a unique and unforgettable day of exchange.
The climate of the region in general is pleasant, in winter the minimum temperatures usually reach -6 ° C, on very cold days, between 6:00 and 9:00 in the morning, but at noon, almost every day they are around 15 ° C. In the summer the minimums are around 12 ° C and the maximum 30 ° C. The rains occur only in summer and are usually very intense, generally from April to December, and can be early or extended for a few years.
It is recommended to respect the season from April to December, since in times where the rain predominates, the roads can be quite dangerous and in many cases there is no passage, this happens if you access by Provincial Route No. 83.
National route 34 will take you to Libertador General San Martín, where from the terminal of this place there are private transport that takes you to the town of Valle Grande, and from there you will find another private transport that will take you to Valle Colorado.
From Libertador Gral. San Martín to San Francisco there are two lines of passenger transport with very rudimentary conditions, companies August 23 and September 24. They leave from the Ledesma bus terminal at 08:30 on Wednesdays and Fridays. They arrive in Valle Grande at 2:00 p.m. approx. From this point a combi from Valle Colorado makes the transport from 2:30 p.m. approx. It is better to always be before in case of mobilizing in another vehicle or transport to Valle Grande. You return at 1:00 p.m. from Valle Colorado to Valle Grande and from there from 3:00 p.m. to Libertador General San Martín, arriving at approximately 7:30 p.m.; It is important to clarify that the transports in many occasions only go to Valle Grande, they will inform you on the day of the trip.
– In the case of traveling by private vehicle, it is recommended to load gasoline and calibrate the tires well since the last service station is in the town of Libertador General San Martín.
– It is recommended to carry cash in hand, since at the moment very few businesses charge with cards, there is an ATM in the town of San Francisco.
– There are Gomerías in all the towns before arriving at Valle Colorado in case of having any problem with the vehicle.
– The town has WiFi access in the secondary school and also in the Town Hall, for the moment, the sectors with coverage are not marked.
– Valle Colorado has electricity 24 hours a day.
– In summer, it is very humid so it is recommended to bring sunscreen and insect repellent.
– The town of Valle Colorado has a precarious health post.
– Police in the town.
– The transports that exist are small private companies, they leave at 08:30 from the Libertador General San Martín bus terminal, the company on August 23 leaves on Wednesday and Friday with an approximate price of $ 300, it is important to clarify that Transportation does not always go to Valle Colorado, that is decided at the time of travel, depending on the state of the roads and also if at that time there is a certain number of people traveling there, they usually only go to Valle Grande and from There you will have to take some private transport, remís or motorcycle.
How to get?
From San Salvador de Jujuy, it is accessed by National Route 66 and then joined by Route 34 to the city of Libertador General San Martín. Then, take Provincial Route 83 that gives access to the Calilegua National Park.
Humahuaca – Valle Colorado: 114.9 km by RP73
Libertador Gral. San Martín – Valle Colorado: 96.3 km by RP83
Telephone Numbers of Interest:
- Municipal emergencies (civil defense) 103
- Hospital Dr. Oscar Orías, Libertador Gral. San Martin +54 9 388 6427019
- Medical emergencies (SAME) 107
- Police Emergencies 911
- Transportation: Company August 23 3884 04-6548, Company September 24 +54 9 388 6593217